The Daily Thread

All things asdf (and anything else)
User avatar
atomtengeralattjaro
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 34870
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 3:43 pm
Location: green
Contact:

Re: The Daily Thread

Post by atomtengeralattjaro » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:56 am

I've got a life advice for everyone:

Chew your food.

I was watching mythbusters on netflix last night, while eating dinner. I usually eat too fast, and I was distracted so I tried to swallow more than I shoud've, and a large piece of potato got stuck in my throat so I had to go to the hospital. It was not fun!
Ivokyuftaf6666 wrote:Awesome Site, Delivering Fun
Image

User avatar
ThingerDudes
ASDF Warlord
ASDF Warlord
Posts: 20723
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:12 am
Location: close enough.

Re: The Daily Thread

Post by ThingerDudes » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:46 pm

you are a submarine not a snake you can't just go around not chewing food like that

I hope you're ok now!
Image

User avatar
Uly
ASDF Prophet
ASDF Prophet
Posts: 4040
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:40 pm
Location: At your service
Contact:

Re: The Daily Thread

Post by Uly » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:17 pm

Whenever I eat potatoes I brutally mash the everloving shit out of them with my fork before I eat them as a precaution

User avatar
Anonymously Famous
JKL; Assassin
JKL; Assassin
Posts: 11372
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:52 pm
Location: Area ???, under Bermuda Triangle

Re: The Daily Thread

Post by Anonymously Famous » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:25 pm

My wife had something similar happen to her when she was a kid. Her dad ended up doing the Heimlich maneuver on her.
BOTTOM TEXT
ThingerDudes wrote:The only reasonable amount of Nutella is infinity. Everything else is too little.
Proud poster of the 300kth post in General

User avatar
Uly
ASDF Prophet
ASDF Prophet
Posts: 4040
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:40 pm
Location: At your service
Contact:

Re: The Daily Thread

Post by Uly » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:30 pm

This is why first aid is important and everyone should learn it, it's unbelievable how many deaths are due to ignorance,

User avatar
Anonymously Famous
JKL; Assassin
JKL; Assassin
Posts: 11372
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:52 pm
Location: Area ???, under Bermuda Triangle

Re: The Daily Thread

Post by Anonymously Famous » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:35 pm

Knowing basic first aid is super important.

Today is the day that people in the US who care about such things wear green.
BOTTOM TEXT
ThingerDudes wrote:The only reasonable amount of Nutella is infinity. Everything else is too little.
Proud poster of the 300kth post in General

User avatar
atomtengeralattjaro
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 34870
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 3:43 pm
Location: green
Contact:

Re: The Daily Thread

Post by atomtengeralattjaro » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:30 pm

ThingerDudes wrote:I hope you're ok now!
No, I am dead.
Jk I'm ok.

Nobody tried the Heimlich maneuver on me, but the solution was unique - they did an x-ray to see where's the obstruction, and for that you need to swallow some disgusting contrast fluid to help the visualization. The fluid was so gross I ended up puking it out along with the potato :)
Uly wrote:Whenever I eat potatoes I brutally mash the everloving shit out of them with my fork before I eat them as a precaution
I'm gonna do that as a form of vengeance from now on.
Ivokyuftaf6666 wrote:Awesome Site, Delivering Fun
Image

User avatar
Anonymously Famous
JKL; Assassin
JKL; Assassin
Posts: 11372
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:52 pm
Location: Area ???, under Bermuda Triangle

Re: The Daily Thread

Post by Anonymously Famous » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:48 pm

atomtengeralattjaro wrote:Nobody tried the Heimlich maneuver on me, but the solution was unique - they did an x-ray to see where's the obstruction, and for that you need to swallow some disgusting contrast fluid to help the visualization. The fluid was so gross I ended up puking it out along with the potato :)
I'm glad it was effective.

In honor of St. Patrick's Day, I looked at my family tree. Two people in the last 10 generations were Irish: My great great great grandparents. My oldest daughter is named after their granddaughter.
BOTTOM TEXT
ThingerDudes wrote:The only reasonable amount of Nutella is infinity. Everything else is too little.
Proud poster of the 300kth post in General

User avatar
Uly
ASDF Prophet
ASDF Prophet
Posts: 4040
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:40 pm
Location: At your service
Contact:

Re: The Daily Thread

Post by Uly » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:49 pm

atomtengeralattjaro wrote:
ThingerDudes wrote:I hope you're ok now!
No, I am dead.
Jk I'm ok.

Nobody tried the Heimlich maneuver on me, but the solution was unique - they did an x-ray to see where's the obstruction, and for that you need to swallow some disgusting contrast fluid to help the visualization. The fluid was so gross I ended up puking it out along with the potato :)
Uly wrote:Whenever I eat potatoes I brutally mash the everloving shit out of them with my fork before I eat them as a precaution
I'm gonna do that as a form of vengeance from now on.
That was good, I guess. Not the most disgusting thing that has happened in a hospital, I'm sure.
Also, remember vengeance is a dish best served cold.

User avatar
Shai'tan
ASDF's Best Friend
ASDF's Best Friend
Posts: 26007
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:14 pm
Location: Seven
Contact:

Re: The Daily Thread

Post by Shai'tan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:38 pm

atomtengeralattjaro wrote:
ThingerDudes wrote:I hope you're ok now!
No, I am dead.
Jk I'm ok.

Nobody tried the Heimlich maneuver on me, but the solution was unique - they did an x-ray to see where's the obstruction, and for that you need to swallow some disgusting contrast fluid to help the visualization. The fluid was so gross I ended up puking it out along with the potato :)
Uly wrote:Whenever I eat potatoes I brutally mash the everloving shit out of them with my fork before I eat them as a precaution
I'm gonna do that as a form of vengeance from now on.
Good that you're OK, sound horrible :(

Today I spent the entire day travelling home from Gran Canaria. Had to get up at 5 (am). :|
Quote of the Ages:
atomtengeralattjaro wrote:The Forums of ASDF turn, and Pages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Page that gave it birth comes again. On one Page, called the Six Hundred and Ninety Fifth Page by some, a Page yet to come, a Page long past, a post was made by atomtengeralattjaro. The post was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the turning of the Forums of ASDF. But it was a beginning.

User avatar
Anonymously Famous
JKL; Assassin
JKL; Assassin
Posts: 11372
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:52 pm
Location: Area ???, under Bermuda Triangle

Re: The Daily Thread

Post by Anonymously Famous » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:42 pm

Shai'tan wrote: Had to get up at 5 (am). :|
My kids are early risers. Waking up around 5:00 is pretty much the norm for me.
BOTTOM TEXT
ThingerDudes wrote:The only reasonable amount of Nutella is infinity. Everything else is too little.
Proud poster of the 300kth post in General

User avatar
Shai'tan
ASDF's Best Friend
ASDF's Best Friend
Posts: 26007
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:14 pm
Location: Seven
Contact:

Re: The Daily Thread

Post by Shai'tan » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:15 am

Mine's not, luckily.
Quote of the Ages:
atomtengeralattjaro wrote:The Forums of ASDF turn, and Pages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Page that gave it birth comes again. On one Page, called the Six Hundred and Ninety Fifth Page by some, a Page yet to come, a Page long past, a post was made by atomtengeralattjaro. The post was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the turning of the Forums of ASDF. But it was a beginning.

User avatar
Anonymously Famous
JKL; Assassin
JKL; Assassin
Posts: 11372
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:52 pm
Location: Area ???, under Bermuda Triangle

Re: The Daily Thread

Post by Anonymously Famous » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:02 pm

I woke up today, and the internet wasn't working.

I switched over to these guys right before Christmas, and when they did the installation, they didn't bury the DSL line immediately - I think it was because the ground was still frozen or something like that. Anyway, they still haven't been out to do that, and I've always been paranoid that that thin cable would be damaged or something. This morning, my paranoia was proven to be justified:
Image
BOTTOM TEXT
ThingerDudes wrote:The only reasonable amount of Nutella is infinity. Everything else is too little.
Proud poster of the 300kth post in General

User avatar
Shai'tan
ASDF's Best Friend
ASDF's Best Friend
Posts: 26007
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:14 pm
Location: Seven
Contact:

Re: The Daily Thread

Post by Shai'tan » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:58 pm

That sucks :(

Today DnDBeyond beta launch and I'm super excited :D
Quote of the Ages:
atomtengeralattjaro wrote:The Forums of ASDF turn, and Pages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Page that gave it birth comes again. On one Page, called the Six Hundred and Ninety Fifth Page by some, a Page yet to come, a Page long past, a post was made by atomtengeralattjaro. The post was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the turning of the Forums of ASDF. But it was a beginning.

User avatar
Anonymously Famous
JKL; Assassin
JKL; Assassin
Posts: 11372
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:52 pm
Location: Area ???, under Bermuda Triangle

Re: The Daily Thread

Post by Anonymously Famous » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:04 pm

It was determined that a neighborhood dog (or some other thing with teeth) chewed through it. It's been repaired, and efforts have been made to expedite burying the cable.

Is D&D Beyond going to be a free service? Subscription? Is it necessary to have a Twitch account?

All important questions.
BOTTOM TEXT
ThingerDudes wrote:The only reasonable amount of Nutella is infinity. Everything else is too little.
Proud poster of the 300kth post in General

User avatar
atomtengeralattjaro
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 34870
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 3:43 pm
Location: green
Contact:

Re: The Daily Thread

Post by atomtengeralattjaro » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:09 pm

Anonymously Famous wrote:DSL line
DSL? What year is it?
Anonymously Famous wrote:It was determined that a neighborhood dog (or some other thing with teeth) chewed through it.
Well how about making the cables less tasty?
Ivokyuftaf6666 wrote:Awesome Site, Delivering Fun
Image

User avatar
Anonymously Famous
JKL; Assassin
JKL; Assassin
Posts: 11372
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:52 pm
Location: Area ???, under Bermuda Triangle

Re: The Daily Thread

Post by Anonymously Famous » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:07 pm

atomtengeralattjaro wrote:
Anonymously Famous wrote:DSL line
DSL? What year is it?
Yeah, I know... We live just outside of fiber optic coverage... We'd get the best speed with cable internet, but we had to get away from them for a while because their price became too expensive after the promotional pricing ended. There's also pretty good speed with a company that does some sort of radio tower thing, but it's line of sight, and I hear that a heavy snow storm is enough to knock out coverage. I've heard their services described by "It's great when it works." We want something more reliable than that. So DSL it is, for now. We get around 40 Mbps download, which is good enough for us for now.

Here's a list of countries by internet connection speeds, just for fun.
BOTTOM TEXT
ThingerDudes wrote:The only reasonable amount of Nutella is infinity. Everything else is too little.
Proud poster of the 300kth post in General

User avatar
atomtengeralattjaro
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 34870
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 3:43 pm
Location: green
Contact:

Re: The Daily Thread

Post by atomtengeralattjaro » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:03 am

Well hopefully in the near future (within a decade maybe?) the SpaceX LEO constellation might be up and running to provide broadband everywhere.
Ivokyuftaf6666 wrote:Awesome Site, Delivering Fun
Image

User avatar
Shai'tan
ASDF's Best Friend
ASDF's Best Friend
Posts: 26007
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:14 pm
Location: Seven
Contact:

Re: The Daily Thread

Post by Shai'tan » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:20 am

Anonymously Famous wrote:Is D&D Beyond going to be a free service? Subscription? Is it necessary to have a Twitch account?

All important questions.
Looks like some of it will be free, but you might have to buy the books to unlock stuff that's not in the SRD :(

There are talks of subscription.

For now yes, hopefully they will change that.
Quote of the Ages:
atomtengeralattjaro wrote:The Forums of ASDF turn, and Pages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Page that gave it birth comes again. On one Page, called the Six Hundred and Ninety Fifth Page by some, a Page yet to come, a Page long past, a post was made by atomtengeralattjaro. The post was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the turning of the Forums of ASDF. But it was a beginning.

User avatar
Anonymously Famous
JKL; Assassin
JKL; Assassin
Posts: 11372
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:52 pm
Location: Area ???, under Bermuda Triangle

Re: The Daily Thread

Post by Anonymously Famous » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:26 pm

Shai'tan wrote:
Anonymously Famous wrote:Is D&D Beyond going to be a free service? Subscription? Is it necessary to have a Twitch account?

All important questions.
Looks like some of it will be free, but you might have to buy the books to unlock stuff that's not in the SRD :(

There are talks of subscription.

For now yes, hopefully they will change that.
Thanks for the answers!
BOTTOM TEXT
ThingerDudes wrote:The only reasonable amount of Nutella is infinity. Everything else is too little.
Proud poster of the 300kth post in General

Post Reply