Programming, computers, etc. [Serious]

All things asdf (and anything else)
Arkannine
ASDF Warlord
ASDF Warlord

Re: Programming, computers, etc. [Serious]

Post by Arkannine » Mon May 16, 2016 1:32 am

What is your job?

On a side note, I'm on robotics-related research teams and I've been learning a lot of stuff even though I'm mainly a programmer, namely electronics, more in-depth Linux and how holy cow useful SSH and SCP are. It's pretty cool to have a growing assortment of tools on your knowledge base.

Also (and forgive me for quoting relatively old posts)
Shai'tan, about his issues with Windows and its updates, wrote:A bunch of stuff
Tell me about it. I have Ubuntu and Win10 installed in dual boot with GRUB as the loader. Windows did an update and managed to lose the MBR in one of its restarts, so neither OS would boot. Luckily I had a Ubuntu live USB nearby and managed to retrieve Windows, and lost Ubuntu but I didn't have anything too important there anyway so it was no trouble to reinstall. Still though, it could've been pretty bad, and Windows messed up entirely on its own.
assdef wrote:I've seen a number of Cocks in my days.

MTG09
ASDF High Priest
ASDF High Priest

Post by MTG09 » Mon May 16, 2016 8:33 pm

sorry for answering for him but it's this magical thing called "localization"
The secrets of life:
Anonymously Famous wrote:Is is is. [source]
And it always will be. [source]

Uly
ASDF Prophet
ASDF Prophet

Post by Uly » Mon May 16, 2016 10:03 pm

MTG09 wrote:sorry for answering for him but it's this magical thing called "localization engineering"
ftfy

Shai'tan
ASDF's Best Friend
ASDF's Best Friend

Post by Shai'tan » Tue May 17, 2016 7:46 pm

Arkannine wrote:What is your job?

On a side note, I'm on robotics-related research teams and I've been learning a lot of stuff even though I'm mainly a programmer, namely electronics, more in-depth Linux and how holy cow useful SSH and SCP are. It's pretty cool to have a growing assortment of tools on your knowledge base.
That's cool. Used a lot of SCP and SSH when working on my exams this year, had to remote into a virtual Ubuntu machine. It's incredibly useful. Can also use it if I ever need to remote to the Uni's computers.
Also (and forgive me for quoting relatively old posts)
Shai'tan, about his issues with Windows and its updates, wrote:A bunch of stuff
Tell me about it. I have Ubuntu and Win10 installed in dual boot with GRUB as the loader. Windows did an update and managed to lose the MBR in one of its restarts, so neither OS would boot. Luckily I had a Ubuntu live USB nearby and managed to retrieve Windows, and lost Ubuntu but I didn't have anything too important there anyway so it was no trouble to reinstall. Still though, it could've been pretty bad, and Windows messed up entirely on its own.
Ouch. This is one of the reasons I always have a Live USB of some Linux version lying around. You never know when you suddenly need one. Although it's less likely now that I have a laptop, but still.
Quote of the Ages:
atomtengeralattjaro wrote:The Forums of ASDF turn, and Pages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Page that gave it birth comes again. On one Page, called the Six Hundred and Ninety Fifth Page by some, a Page yet to come, a Page long past, a post was made by atomtengeralattjaro. The post was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the turning of the Forums of ASDF. But it was a beginning.

Anonymously Famous
JKL; Assassin
JKL; Assassin

Post by Anonymously Famous » Wed May 18, 2016 6:49 pm

MTG09 wrote:sorry for answering for him but it's this magical thing called "localization"
Uly wrote:
MTG09 wrote:sorry for answering for him but it's this magical thing called "localization engineering"
ftfy
Yes, and yes.

And having lots of tools in your tool belt is always a good thing. It makes you feel like Batman.
BOTTOM TEXT
ThingerDudes wrote:The only reasonable amount of Nutella is infinity. Everything else is too little.
Proud poster of the 300kth post in General

Uly
ASDF Prophet
ASDF Prophet

Post by Uly » Wed May 18, 2016 10:15 pm

or bob the builder

Anonymously Famous
JKL; Assassin
JKL; Assassin

Post by Anonymously Famous » Wed May 18, 2016 10:19 pm

Well, I am occasionally asked if I can fix something... Usually it's something in several files. That's when I break out scripting to do it in all of the files at once.
BOTTOM TEXT
ThingerDudes wrote:The only reasonable amount of Nutella is infinity. Everything else is too little.

Uly
ASDF Prophet
ASDF Prophet

Post by Uly » Wed May 18, 2016 10:20 pm

Who writes the scripting

Anonymously Famous
JKL; Assassin
JKL; Assassin

Post by Anonymously Famous » Wed May 18, 2016 10:27 pm

I do. Unless I find a program that someone else wrote which will do the job without too much trouble. No sense reinventing wheels.
BOTTOM TEXT

Uly
ASDF Prophet
ASDF Prophet

Post by Uly » Wed May 18, 2016 10:37 pm

Do you work alone or what

atomtengeralattjaro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by atomtengeralattjaro » Thu May 19, 2016 8:18 pm

Ivokyuftaf6666 wrote:Awesome Site, Delivering Fun

Uly
ASDF Prophet
ASDF Prophet

Post by Uly » Thu May 19, 2016 8:44 pm

that's why I use caps

Shai'tan
ASDF's Best Friend
ASDF's Best Friend

Post by Shai'tan » Fri May 20, 2016 6:45 pm

atomtengeralattjaro wrote:I find this amusing: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3053711
:lol:

Today I participated in an arrangement where we learned about hacking. It was cool, learned a lot. Didn't know that GDB could edit register values during runtime of a program.
Quote of the Ages:
atomtengeralattjaro wrote:The Forums of ASDF turn, and Pages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Page that gave it birth comes again. On one Page, called the Six Hundred and Ninety Fifth Page by some, a Page yet to come, a Page long past, a post was made by atomtengeralattjaro. The post was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the turning of the Forums of ASDF. But it was a beginning.

atomtengeralattjaro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by atomtengeralattjaro » Fri May 20, 2016 8:12 pm

What's GDB?

Uly
ASDF Prophet
ASDF Prophet

Post by Uly » Fri May 20, 2016 8:16 pm

Gnu Project Debugger

Shai'tan
ASDF's Best Friend
ASDF's Best Friend

Post by Shai'tan » Sat May 21, 2016 11:58 am

Quote of the Ages:

Arkannine
ASDF Warlord
ASDF Warlord

Post by Arkannine » Sat May 21, 2016 12:47 pm

atomtengeralattjaro wrote:I find this amusing: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3053711
:lol:
In LoL, an online game, there's a player whose username is "Annie Bot". Annie is one of the playable characters, and in Player vs. IA mode, the bot's "usernames" are "<character> Bot", so ofc there's an Annie Bot who's actually a bot.
Well, the user with that name can see the bot's ping, which isn't possible in any other circumstances (usually you can only see your own ping). It's 0 because the bot's running server-side, but I still think it's pretty funny.
IIRC there's other weird stuff that used to happen but I don't remember the details now.
Shai'tan wrote:Today I participated in an arrangement where we learned about hacking. It was cool, learned a lot. Didn't know that GDB could edit register values during runtime of a program.
Interesting. While learning SSH I was actually somewhat concerned. There's this tool that's enabled by default on tons of systems and someone could easily and silently rm -rf / your stuff or whatever and you'd be none the wiser until they're finished.
Anonymously Famous, on being a localization engineer, wrote:Yes, and yes.
That's cool. I tried recently pulling off some freelance translation jobs but it's really hard to get your first one when you have no certifications or experience, even though you're pretty good with the language :(

atomtengeralattjaro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by atomtengeralattjaro » Sat May 21, 2016 1:50 pm

Arkannine wrote:There's this tool that's enabled by default on tons of systems and someone could easily and silently rm -rf / your stuff or whatever and you'd be none the wiser until they're finished.
What does the average user need to know about this?

Shai'tan
ASDF's Best Friend
ASDF's Best Friend

Post by Shai'tan » Sat May 21, 2016 1:53 pm

Arkannine wrote:
Shai'tan wrote:Today I participated in an arrangement where we learned about hacking. It was cool, learned a lot. Didn't know that GDB could edit register values during runtime of a program.
Interesting. While learning SSH I was actually somewhat concerned. There's this tool that's enabled by default on tons of systems and someone could easily and silently rm -rf / your stuff or whatever and you'd be none the wiser until they're finished.
Scary. How does this happen?
Quote of the Ages:

Arkannine
ASDF Warlord
ASDF Warlord

Post by Arkannine » Sun May 22, 2016 12:37 pm

I mean SSH itself. SSH is a remote shell, it pretty gives you a terminal that runs whatever on a remote machine. You access it through the machine's IP and one of its user's passwords.

At least on the Raspberry Pi, it's enabled by default. Also it comes with a weak and widely known default password ("raspberry") and doesn't require or even prompt you, as far as I know, to change. All you'd need to know is its IP.
On my Ubuntu machine, and I assume other distros, openssh-server starts automatically on startup once it's installed, also without user prompt or warning.

So what you need to do besides having a strong password is not forward SSH ports on your router unless you have a specific reason to do so. That still leaves you open to anyone on LAN that has your password, though then they may as well come over to your PC and do whatever they want to anyway. On Windows it's actually kind of a pain to set up SSH anyway, so the average user is probably safe.